Pages

Monday, August 11, 2008

How You Gonna Keep 'Em Down On The Farm?


I don't really know where these works are coming from....other than I am feeling a need to document my family's roots and the folks that came out of the Pennsylvanian farms where my mother grew up and formed her persona. They say we become our mother as we age..........boy, when I look in the mirror these days I see my Mom!
This painting is a 6 x 8" mixed media...a small step out of my comfort zone as far as media goes. But I must admit I am having fun with this detour and have several other works on the easel that also deal with the family and the farms. I call this painting "How You Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the Farm?" ....after that same song which asked the question about how they would kept on the farm after they saw Paris! [or "Par-ie"?].
This past weekend we celebrated birthdays on our Morrill farm...some being celebrated a bit late, but better late than never, I always say. I watched our grandchildren playing on our farm........running through the field and orchard. It is so good that even though our farm is small and not at all self sufficient, that our kids can still have a farm type of environment to experience in this day and age of computers and quick fixes. Nothing quick about mucking stalls and throwing hay bales! There is a gentle rhythm about the days here on Cob Cottage Farm.
That is why I love it.

No comments: