Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Cat For Sale

"Mittens is being very bad!!"

We have always had a cat. Sometime more than one.There was a time when we housed  [in the barn ...not the house!] 22 cats of different colors, types and ages. We had bought an old 200 year old farm in southern Maine and with it we inherited a plethora of cats and added our two house cats who we moved in with, into the mix. [We also inherited a flock of sheep with the farm,but that is another story!] Over the years the number decreased, attrition by condition! Needless to say, we cut down on our feline dependents and today find ourselves with just Mittens, a now 12 year old [give or take a year or two] Maine Coon Cat of dubious lineage. She was born on that old farm,nestled in a cozy den amongst the hay bales in the loft. A friend and I pulled the snarling hissing, scratching kittens out of their den.The whole "kitten -kaboodle" of them! My friend adopted two of the kits and I kept Mittens....the rest were picked up by cat rescue to be sent to their forever homes. Mittens is my buddy as I write and work on the computer. She enjoys the peace and quiet of the upstairs loft office space. It is where she does not get dragged around by a certain Jack Russell Terrier! It is her safe zone. We all need a safe zone where we can have peace and quiet....hers is here, beside me....she purrs her happy song while I work. I love her when this what is going on.......BUT of late she has started waking us up early in the morning while she enjoys her 'playtime'...she runs like a banshee through the house, over our bed.....very annoying to say the least! If this continues she WILL find herself on the side of the road with a sign attached : FOR SALE-FREE!
The winter watercolor I am working on of two Belgian drafts is almost done...it is just needing the details....and it will be then good to go! I am headed down to the studio now.....as Mittens sleeps in the office....she needs her rest you know! She was up early.

9 comments:

Gaina said...

I'll have her! :D

Kpeters said...

Hee hee......I think she will stay...she has a bunch of baggage!!
and she is sitting here singing pretty now! What a sweet kitty!!
kp

KimT said...

How can you resist that face? She's beautiful!

Studio at the Farm said...

I'll trade you 2 chinchillas for your Maine Coone cat! Kidding!! Love the post, though.

Kpeters said...

Yes...she is beautiful and with a wizard blaze on her forehead!....but beauty is as beauty does.I don't think she is so beautiful when she runs across my face in the dark morning hours!
okay..2 chinchillas and a bottle of wine for the cat??? LOL
kp

Tulsa Courthouse said...

For the last couple of weeks, I managed to go although only some of articles or blog posts you share here, but I discover them as relatively interesting and informative sources. Just want say thank you for the material you've got shared.

Jenny said...

What a nice article, cute cat. Our Katy Katje is running through the house like a bat out of h--- now. We think it is the snow outside that is making her crazy. I even had to get outside for some exercise even though it's been below freezing for five days now. Happy days to you.

Kim Vanlandingham said...

LOL! I think I may have a distant relative! My studio cat Annie (she lives in my studio, not the house) is always in trouble!!! Rubbing against wet canvas, wrestling with her automatic waterer..and heaven forbid that a moth or fly gets in. She destroys lamps, frames, anything to catch it!! What would we do without our pets though!

Kpeters said...

Katy and Annie might well be sisters of our Mitts! And yes, if a storm is brewing outside,for sure one is brewing in the house with Ms. Mittens!And I am constantly picking cat [and dog ]hair out of my paintings!! I do consider it all "mixed media" for sure!!
kp