Pages

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Revisiting Paintings Done With Another Approach

 


 
Sometimes an painting idea can be approached , painted and after the painting is done, the subject calls to be approached again but from another direction. This happened lately with 2 painting that I have done. One was initially finished very recently. The second was painted over the past winter. I learn something every time I do this, the reworking of a painting, changing out the medium , the format and stretching maybe with my vision. I am not alone with this 'reworking' of works. Many of the masters have done it over the centuries. I am in good company.
 
 "Among The Fields Of Gold" done originally in oil , was re-worked with watercolor......one version a full oil portrait, and the second done in a loose watercolor study with a more abstract approach. Each medium sort of dictated the approach for me.
 
 

 
 
The second painting that I felt compelled to rework in a cropped version ended up being in oil in a small square format. The original painting was a portrait of sorts, done in casein and more involved. The cropped version is featuring just the head of the horse, the rider cropped out, done in juicy oil paint.
 

 
 
The original work was done as a portrait of a side-saddle equestrian. Both works are featured on my website now.... "The Classic" and "A Lady and Her Horse" .
 
 
 
And now today I have three new panels that I  have  prepared for more paintings.....I am painting.

No comments: