Pages

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Draft Nap Gold

I love painting white/ gray horses. I can see so many colors in a white horse. But when I painted this draft, for some reason I approached him with a solid white,very graphic,and not shadowed at all. With a gold background and his bed of gold and yellow hay, I wanted to "keep it simple".

Years ago [it seems, in another life] I drew fashion illustrations, wrote a fashion article about what was "in" on the fashion scene in Italy. Now a days, one would find me in jeans, covered with hay, dog hair and paint. I would not change a thing about my life....and my training in fashion, in illustration and commercial art often colors my work that I produce today. My painting animals is a far cry from the fashion world.........but I love it here on our tiny farm that feeds my muse each day.

This 16 x 20" mixed media painting, titled "Draft Nap Gold" will be put up on my website.

3 comments:

Karen Thumm said...

I love this one, Kathi. It has that old fashioned illustration feel to it. I can't think of the illustrator's name - possibly Erte? But this reminds me of his work.

I just love good illustration.

Kpeters said...

Thanks Karen....in the 60's and 70's there were so many talented illustrators. One of my favourite ones is Bernie Fuchs.I remember being looking at his work in Seventeen magazine, and wanting to be an illustrator.But of course Toulouse Lautrec and Aubrey Beardsley [sp?]were the BEST ever!
kp

Suzanne in Maine said...

I love this one to. It has Japanese feel to it.