Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Looking Down A Road


At the age of 17 I was living in Italy and going to The Rome Academy Of Fine Art. I walked down this street each day on my way to painting and drawing classes. I am sure the street has changed since I walked it...but now as I painted it from my loft in Maine, it seemed as if I was there, a student again in Rome. The little VW sitting in the sun with the other two cars, made an interesting counterpoint to the narrow ancient street. They all made a statement to me.... and so I painted.


This is "Roma, Italia".

3 comments:

Kimberly Kelly Santini said...

Kathi - how I would love to sit and chat with you about your time in Rome. What a gift that was! I like the simple structure of this composition - how the planes of the buildings become mere shapes - the only curves are in the bug. Wish I could see the surface of the piece......

klp said...

Kathi, I really like this one and it's quite a departure from your other work..please do more..maybe a series..? Klynn

Kpeters said...

There is something about the Italian architecture that puts everything in a very abstract simple design. Maybe it has to do with the lighting and landscape. I miss that inspiration. Our light here and the architecture in New England is so very different.
Maybe I will try a New England scene to compare.
Where have the horses gone?